It’s extremely important to make sure the electrical wires in your home are not only up-to-date but intact. We have to use electricity every day in some way or another. If the wiring is damaged, outdated, or installed incorrectly it could be incredibly dangerous. It’s also important to determine where the issue is located. If left unchecked it could result in an electrical fire or other serious damage that could endanger the household. Here are five signs there’s a fault in your wiring that need to get taken care of as soon as possible.

  • Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips: The circuit breaker is the first defense when it comes to any electrical issues. It’s common for them to trip periodically if there’s an overload with an outlet, appliance, etc. Now and then it’s really a big deal. It becomes an issue when it starts tripping several times a month or even a week, especially if there’s nothing really new you’re adding in. This means something is wrong with the existing wiring or the breaker is getting over-taxed by something.
  • Flickering or Buzzing Lights: Sometimes there’s an issue that’s not quite to the point of tripping the circuit breaker, but it can still be serious. If you’re noticing any of the lights in your house flickering, dimming, or making an odd buzzing sound when they’re turned on it’s a sign that there’s an electrical problem.
When To Check If Your Wires Need To Be Replaced 1
  • Frayed or Chewed Wiring: Both chewed or frayed wiring not only affects the quality of the electrical, but exposed wires could arc if it’s accidentally touched and cause either a shock or a fire hazard. It also might be an indication of a rodent problem if you don’t know the source of the chew marks.
  • Warm or Vibrating Outlets: Have you ever hovered your hand over a skillet to feel the heat radiating off? While it’s a good sign for cooking, if there’s an electrical issue you might feel that warmth coming off of the outlet or even feel it vibrating slightly.
  • Burning or Hot Smell: Have you walked around the house smelling something hot or even burning when nothing is being cooked in the kitchen? If you can’t find the source or if you know it from an outlet, it’s important to get it taken care of as soon as possible. This is an indication that fire damage is beginning and could result in a house fire if left unchecked.